In today’s fast-paced world, where the demands of work, family, and personal commitments often collide, finding the right balance between education and other responsibilities can be a challenge. However, in Nigeria’s bustling city of Lagos, a solution has emerged to address this predicament: part-time schools. These innovative educational institutions offer a flexible and accommodating learning environment for students of all ages, empowering them to pursue their academic goals while managing their busy schedules.
Lagos, known for its vibrant economy and dynamic lifestyle, is home to a diverse population comprising professionals, entrepreneurs, and individuals juggling multiple roles. For those seeking to acquire or enhance their knowledge and skills without sacrificing their existing commitments, part-time schools have emerged as a game-changing option. By redefining the traditional education model and embracing adaptability, these institutions provide an enticing alternative to the conventional full-time education system.
Part-time schools in Lagos cater to a wide range of students, including working professionals looking to upskill, parents seeking to further their education, and even school-age students desiring a flexible learning experience. These institutions offer a variety of academic programs, ranging from vocational courses to diploma programs, undergraduate degrees, and even postgraduate studies.
One of the primary advantages of part-time schools is their flexibility. Recognizing that not all learners can commit to a rigid timetable, these institutions offer a range of class schedules, including evenings, weekends, and online options. This flexibility allows students to customize their education to suit their individual needs and avail themselves of learning opportunities that align with their availability.
Additionally, part-time schools often provide a supportive and inclusive learning environment. As students come from diverse backgrounds and have unique life situations, the sense of community fostered within these institutions helps create a network of like-minded individuals striving for academic success while balancing other responsibilities. This camaraderie enhances the overall learning experience, as students can engage in meaningful discussions, collaborate on projects, and benefit from shared knowledge.
In this article, we’ll be looking at some of the part-time schools in Lagos, including the courses they offer, admission requirements, and addresses of the schools, among others.
List of Part Time Schools in Lagos
1. Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education (AOCOED) School of Part-Time Studies
The Adeyemi College of Education (ACE) in Ondo State, Nigeria, offers a comprehensive School of Part-Time Studies program to cater to the educational needs of individuals who may not be able to pursue full-time studies due to work commitments or other personal responsibilities. The official website for the ACE School of Part-Time Studies can be accessed at “https://aocoed.edu.ng/programme/part-time“.
The ACE School of Part-Time Studies is designed to provide flexible learning options for students who wish to further their education while balancing other aspects of their lives. The program offers a range of academic courses and programs across various disciplines, allowing students to acquire valuable knowledge and skills to enhance their career prospects.
One of the key advantages of the part-time school is its commitment to providing quality education. The ACE School of Part-Time Studies also provides a supportive learning environment.
The School of Part-Time Studies at Adeyemi College of Education currently offers a wide range of ninety (90) courses across five distinct schools, namely the School of Primary Education, Science, Arts and Social Sciences, Vocational and Technical Education, and Languages. This diverse selection caters to the educational needs of a population exceeding four thousand (4,000) students.
The School of Part-Time Studies mirrors the curriculum of the full-time program, offering virtually all the NCE (Nigeria Certificate in Education) courses available, albeit with a duration of four years. The strategic planning, budgeting, curriculum development, provision of facilities, and research activities are overseen by a Dean, just like in the full-time program.
Lectures in the School of Part-Time Studies are conducted on weekends, allowing students to balance their work or other commitments during the weekdays. Notably, the courses in this program are taught by the same group of experienced lecturers who handle the full-time NCE program. This ensures that students receive the same high-quality education and benefit from the expertise and knowledge of the college’s faculty.
To ensure compliance with the requirements set by the National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE), the admission requirements for students applying to the School of Part-Time Studies have been revised. Prospective candidates must meet the following criteria:
1. Educational Certificates: Candidates are expected to present a valid West African Senior School Certificate (WASC), Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE), General Certificate in Education (GCE), O Level, NECO, or NABTEB. These certificates should demonstrate a minimum of five (5) credits, including English Language, Mathematics, and three (3) other relevant subjects. These credits should be obtained in no more than two (2) sittings.
2. Teachers Grade II Certificate: Students holding a Teachers Grade II Certificate may also be considered for admission. To qualify, they must have obtained a credit in English Language, Mathematics, and three (3) Credits Merits in relevant subjects.
3. Federal Crafts Training Certificate: Similarly, applicants with a Federal Crafts Training Certificate will be recognized and considered for admission. They must have earned credit in English Language, Mathematics, and three (3) other relevant subjects.
It is important to note that students who have deficiencies in their academic results may be admitted on a provisional basis. They will be placed on a bond, which means their admission will be contingent upon fulfilling the requirements for the deficient subjects or results. Once the outstanding results are successfully obtained, their admission will be confirmed.
Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education offers a variety of education programs, including full-time, part-time, and distance learning options. They provide Bachelor of Education programs as well as Nigeria Certificate of Education programs, with the full-time program lasting three years and the part-time program lasting four years.
The college offers a wide range of courses to cater to different academic interests and career aspirations. Here is an official list of the courses available at Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education:
- Agricultural Science
- Arabic/Creative and Cultural Arts
- Arabic/Islamic Studies
- Arabic/Political Science
- Arabic/Social Studies
- Arabic/Theater Arts
- Biology/Integrated Science
- Business Education
- Chemistry/Integrated Science
- Christian Religious Studies/Economics
Visit the school’s official website to see complete list of courses via https://aocoed.edu.ng/programme/part-time
These courses cover a wide range of subjects, including sciences, humanities, arts, social sciences, and education. Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education aims to provide students with diverse options to pursue their academic and career goals within the field of education.
To obtain further information about the School of Part-Time Studies at Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, you can reach out to the institution through the following contact details:
Location: Km 30, Lagos-Badagry Expressway, Otto Ijanikin, Badagry, Lagos, Nigeria.
Alternatively, you can visit the official website of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education at https://aocoed.edu.ng/ to access comprehensive information about the School of Part-Time Studies and its offerings.
Whether you prefer contacting the institution in person or accessing information online, both options are available to help you gather the necessary details about the School of Part-Time Studies at Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education.
2. Lagos State University School of Part-Time Studies
The Lagos State University School of Part-Time Studies (LASU SPTS) is an academic division of Lagos State University (LASU) in Nigeria that offers flexible educational opportunities for individuals who are unable to pursue full-time studies due to work, family, or other commitments. The School of Part-Time Studies is committed to providing high-quality education, ensuring that students have access to learning resources and support services that enable them to excel in their chosen fields.
The LASU SPTS is located within the main LASU campus in Ojo, as well as in Epe, Lagos State, Nigeria. It offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs across various disciplines. These programs are designed to accommodate the needs of working professionals, allowing them to earn a degree while balancing their personal and professional responsibilities.
The School of Part-Time Studies provides a conducive learning environment, equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and resources to facilitate effective teaching and learning. The faculty members are highly qualified and experienced in their respective fields, ensuring that students receive quality education and practical training.
LASU SPTS offers flexible study options, including evening and weekend classes, to cater to the diverse schedules of part-time students. This enables individuals to pursue their education without compromising their job or other commitments. The programs are structured to ensure that part-time students receive the same level of education and academic rigor as their full-time counterparts.
As a student at LASU SPTS, you will have access to various support services, including a library, computer facilities, and academic counseling. The school also organizes seminars, workshops, and conferences to enhance students’ knowledge and skills and provide networking opportunities.
The Lagos State University School of Part-Time Studies (LASU SPTS) offers a diverse range of degree programmes for individuals seeking flexible educational options. The following part-time degree programmes are available at LASU SPTS:
Banking and Finance
History and International Studies
Industrial Relations & Personnel Management
Nursing (College of Medicine, Ikeja Campus)
Yoruba Communication Arts
These programmes are designed to provide students with a solid foundation in their chosen fields and equip them with the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in their careers. Whether you’re interested in business, humanities, social sciences, or healthcare, LASU SPTS offers a wide range of options to suit your academic and professional goals.
To be eligible for admission to the Lagos State University School of Part-Time Studies (LASU SPTS), prospective students are required to meet certain eligibility criteria and fulfill specific requirements. Here are some common eligibility requirements for part-time programs:
- Educational Qualifications: Applicants should possess the necessary educational qualifications as specified by the university. This typically includes a minimum of five (5) credits in relevant subjects, including English Language and Mathematics, in Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE) or its equivalent.
- Entry Examination: LASU SPTS may conduct an entrance examination or screening exercise to assess the readiness and suitability of applicants for the program. The details of the examination, if applicable, will be provided by the university.
- Application Fee: Applicants are usually required to pay a non-refundable application fee as part of the application process. The amount and payment details will be specified on the LASU SPTS website or in the application instructions.
- Application Form: Applicants must complete the designated application form accurately and provide all the required information. This includes personal details, educational background, and any other relevant information requested by the university.
It’s important to note that the specific eligibility requirements may vary depending on the program and may be subject to change. Therefore, it is advisable to visit the official LASU SPTS website or contact the admissions office directly to obtain the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the eligibility criteria and requirements for the specific program you are interested in pursuing.
To apply for admission to the Lagos State University School of Part-Time Studies (LASU SPTS), please follow these steps:
- Visit the LASU SPTS website: Using your web browser, go to the official website of the Lagos State University School of Part-Time Studies by entering the URL “www.lasu.edu.ng/spts”.
- Access the application form: Look for the application form on the website. To access it, click on the appropriate link or navigate to the section specifically designated for applications.
- Make the application fee payment: To proceed with the application, you will need to pay a non-refundable application fee of Ten Thousand Naira [N10,000.00]. To make the payment, visit “www.lasu.edu.ng/epayment”.
- Complete the payment process: Follow the instructions provided on the payment portal to make the required application fee payment. The payment methods may include online payment options or bank deposits, among others. Ensure that you accurately provide the necessary details and confirm the payment before proceeding.
- Obtain the application form: After completing the payment process, you will be granted access to the application form. Download the form from the website or access it through an online application portal, depending on the instructions provided.
- Fill out the application form: Open the downloaded form or access the online application portal. Provide the required information in the designated fields. Ensure that you provide accurate and complete details, including personal information, educational background, and any other required information.
- Review and validate the application form: Double-check the filled-out application form for any errors or missing information. Make sure all the details provided are accurate and properly filled out. This step is crucial to ensuring that your application is processed correctly.
- Submit the application: Once you have reviewed and validated the application form, submit it electronically through the online application portal or follow the instructions provided for offline submission, if applicable. Take note of any confirmation number or reference provided upon submission.
Please note that the information provided here is a general overview of the application process. It is always recommended to refer to the official LASU SPTS website (https://www.lasu.edu.ng/spts/) for the most accurate and up-to-date information, as procedures and requirements may change over time.
3. University of Lagos Distance Learning Institute (UNILAG DLI)
The Distance Learning Institute (DLI) is an integral part of the University of Lagos, which was established in 1962 through an Act of Parliament. The university has consistently aimed to provide high-quality education and conduct research for Nigerians and individuals seeking knowledge within its domain. Renowned and highly esteemed, the University of Lagos is widely regarded as the preferred choice among universities in Nigeria.
The Distance Learning Institute (DLI) is an academic institute within the University. It is specifically designed to cater to individuals who are unable to participate in traditional on-campus programs due to various reasons, such as work commitments, family responsibilities, or geographical constraints.
DLI offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs, allowing students to earn degrees in diverse fields without the need for physical or regular attendance on the UNILAG campus. These programs are structured to provide flexibility and accessibility to students, enabling them to study at their own pace and convenience.
The DLI program is a highly efficient program that has been running for five years. These five years are divided into five sessions, with one session per year. During each session, students attend lectures twice a month, exclusively on Saturdays.
DLI also offers a residential program, which takes place annually during the exam period. This program requires regular students to vacate the school hostel to accommodate DLI students. Each DLI student is provided with a hostel on the school premises for one month, specifically for exam revisions and exams. Although it is not mandatory, it is strongly recommended that DLI students remain present during this period. This is because there will be extensive revision sessions and assignments given, both of which hold significant importance.
Speaking of assignments, it is essential to note that DLI places great emphasis on them. If a student neglects to attempt their assignments, it should be understood that they are jeopardizing their chances of passing. Additionally, it is highly advised to obtain class notes, as they contribute to 50 percent of the exam score, while assignments carry 30 marks.
It is worth mentioning that individuals pursuing educational courses typically complete the program within six years. I will delve into this topic further as you continue reading.
Please note that the information provided here is based on general knowledge about the Distance Learning Institute (DLI) at the University of Lagos, and specific details or updates may be available on the official DLI website: https://dli.unilag.edu.ng/.
The UNILAG Distance Learning Institute offers degree programs in various disciplines. The available programs include:
- B.Sc. Accounting
- B.Sc. Business Administration
- B.Sc. Economics
- B.Sc. Public Administration
In addition, the institute provides B.Sc. Education programs with specialization in the following subject areas:
- Business Education
Moreover, they offer the B.Ed. Early Childhood Education and B.A. Education/English programs.
The duration of the B.Sc. Accounting, B.Sc. Business Administration, B.Sc. Economics, and B.Sc. Public Administration courses typically ranges from three to five years. On the other hand, the Education Science programs can span between two to five years, depending on the candidate’s entry qualifications. A complete list of courses is available at the school official website: https://dli.unilag.edu.ng/admissions/
The following candidates are eligible to apply:
- Graduates of the University of Lagos or any other university recognized by the Senate, with degrees in relevant disciplines.
- Holders of a Higher National Diploma (HND), National Diploma (ND), or National Certificate in Education (NCE) in the relevant disciplines.
- Holders of recognized relevant full professional qualifications, particularly ACA, ANAN, ACCA, ACMA, ACIA, ACIS, ACIB, and CII, may be considered for admission at the enhanced level, provided they have obtained five credits at WASCE/SSCE/GCE/NECO (‘O’ Level) or its equivalent. These credits must include English Language, Mathematics, Economics, and any other two (2) relevant subjects, achieved in not more than two (2) sittings.
- Holders of WASCE/SSCE/GCE/NECO (‘O’ Level) or its equivalent with a minimum of five (5) credits, including English Language, Mathematics, and any other three (3) relevant subjects, obtained in not more than two (2) sittings.
a. The point of entry for candidates in categories 2.1 to 2.3 will depend on the details of their transcripts. These candidates must also satisfy the requirements of WASCE/SSCE/GCE/NECO (‘O’ Level) or its equivalent, as stated in 2.4 above.
b. Applicants must ensure that all examination numbers and certificates of WASCE/SSCE/GCE/NECO “O” Level or its equivalent are inputted and uploaded on the portal.
c. Applicants who are applying for year two (2) and year three (3) and possess post “O” Level qualifications such as Degrees, HND, NCE, OND, and professional qualifications are required to submit their academic transcripts through the awarding institutions. The application number should be used as the reference number and sent to:
The Institute Secretary,
Distance Learning Institute,
University of Lagos.
Visit the JAMB CAP website and register for the Part-Time program.
Pay a fee of #3,500 to obtain your registration number.
Step 1: Go to the UNILAG application portal at http://applications.unilag.edu.ng.
Step 2: Click on “Start Fresh Application.”
Step 3: Choose “Distance Learning Institute” as the application type. Enter your Surname, First Name, Middle Name, JAMB Registration Number, Mobile Number, and Email Address.
Step 4: Click “Pay now” to make the online payment of the Application Fee, which is N17,500.00 (Seventeen Thousand, Five Hundred Naira) only. Alternatively, you can print the payment advice with the Remita Number and make the payment at any Commercial Bank.
Step 5: After payment, return to the application portal (http://applications.unilag.edu.ng). Click on “continue application” and enter your payment reference number and your lowercase surname as the password.
Step 6: Complete all the required details and upload the necessary documents.
Candidates are required to upload the following documents:
- Testimonial (Primary or Secondary)
- Birth Certificate or Sworn Affidavit predating the admissions advertisement
- ‘O’ Level Certificate and any other relevant qualifications
- NYSC Certificate or NYSC Exemption Certificate (for Direct Entry candidates)
- Marriage Certificate and Newspaper classification (only for married females)
Step 7: Fill out the application form completely, submit it online, and generate a printout. You have the option to save the application form and return to complete it later if certain information is not readily available.
If you need further assistance, please contact the following helpline numbers: +234-810-960-6362, +234-705-240-6470, or +234-907-368-9973. You can also reach out via email at [email protected] or [email protected].
4. Institute of Continuing Education (ICE) University of Lagos
ICE UNILAG, also known as the Institute of Continuing Education, is an academic institution affiliated with the University of Lagos (UNILAG) in Nigeria. Established with the aim of providing quality education to individuals who are unable to pursue regular full-time programs, ICE UNILAG offers a range of part-time and diploma courses.
The institute has a rich history that spans several decades. It was established to provide educational opportunities to a diverse range of individuals who may not be able to enroll in regular full-time programs due to their work, family responsibilities, or other constraints.
ICE UNILAG operates under the academic umbrella of the University of Lagos, a renowned Nigerian university with a reputation for academic excellence. It’s similar to the University’s Distance Learning Institute (DLI).
ICE UNILAG offers a wide range of part-time programs across various disciplines. These programs cater to the needs of working professionals, individuals seeking career advancement, and those looking to acquire new skills. The courses are designed to be flexible, allowing students to balance their studies with other commitments.
For more information about the Institute of Continuing Education (ICE) at the University of Lagos, please refer to the official ICE UNILAG website at https://ice.unilag.edu.ng/about-us.html. Information such as the admission requirements, application process, and courses offered is provided.
5. McPherson University’s Lagos Study Centre
McPherson University’s Lagos Study Centre offers part-time degree programs. The part time school is designed for working professionals who want to earn a degree without having to quit their jobs. Classes are held on weekends and evenings, making it convenient for students to balance their studies with their work and personal commitments.
The duration of the programme varies depending on the specific programme and course type. For Short Term Courses (STC), the duration is determined by the nature of the course itself.
For students enrolled in the Part-Time Programme, the expected duration is five (5) sessions if they were admitted with WASC, NECO, or SSCE qualifications. However, Direct Entry (DE) students are expected to complete the programme in four sessions.
Conversion Students, on the other hand, are expected to complete the programme within two sessions. The duration is tailored to ensure a comprehensive and fulfilling learning experience for each category of students.
Enrolling in the programme offers numerous advantages and opportunities for students:
- Diverse Range of Accredited Courses: Students will have access to a wide array of courses offered by the university, all of which are accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC). This exposure allows for a comprehensive and well-rounded education.
- Enhanced Competitiveness: Through the programme’s rich teaching and learning environment, students will acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to compete effectively in their respective disciplines. They will be equipped to excel and thrive alongside their peers in various professional settings.
- Skill Development: The programme not only focuses on academic knowledge but also fosters the development of practical skills. Students will have the opportunity to acquire and refine skills that are essential for engaging in other relevant professional programmes. This comprehensive skill set will enhance their professional capabilities.
- Pathway to Postgraduate Studies: Graduates of the programme will have the opportunity to pursue postgraduate studies at McPherson University. By completing the programme, students lay the foundation for future academic advancement, expanding their knowledge and expertise in their chosen fields.
The Part-Time Programme at McU offers a range of NUC-approved courses that provide students with valuable knowledge and skills.
The following courses have received NUC approval for the Part-Time Programme at McU:
- History and International Studies
- Religion and Peace Studies
- International Studies
- Business Administration
Visit the application website for more information on how to apply
6. YABATECH School of Part Time Studies
The Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH) School of Part-Time Studies is renowned for its commitment to providing flexible and accessible education to working professionals and individuals with busy schedules. With a focus on continuous learning and professional development, YABATECH offers part-time programs that cater to the diverse needs of students. Through its College Center for Continuous Studies, the institution manages and supervises the weekend and weekday modes, ensuring a seamless and comprehensive learning experience.
YABATECH understands the challenges faced by individuals who want to pursue higher education while balancing work, family, and other commitments. The part-time programs at YABATECH are specifically designed to accommodate these challenges by offering flexible schedules and modes of study. Students can choose between weekend and weekday modes, allowing them to select the option that best suits their availability and preferences.
The weekend mode provides an excellent opportunity for working professionals who may find it difficult to attend classes during the weekdays. With classes scheduled on weekends, students can pursue their education without interrupting their weekday work commitments. This mode enables them to gain valuable knowledge and skills while continuing to progress in their careers.
On the other hand, the weekday mode caters to individuals who have more flexibility during the weekdays. This mode allows students to attend classes during regular working hours, ensuring they have ample time for other personal commitments outside of class. By offering both weekend and weekday modes, YABATECH ensures that students have the flexibility to create a study schedule that aligns with their individual circumstances.
To ensure a smooth and uninterrupted learning experience, YABATECH’s College Center for Continuous Studies coordinates the part-time programs to align with the college’s academic calendar. This meticulous coordination ensures that the programs run seamlessly, providing students with a structured and efficient learning journey. By adhering to the academic calendar, students can plan their studies effectively and progress through their courses without any hitches.
YABATECH’s School of Part-Time Studies is committed to excellence in education. The college boasts a team of experienced and qualified lecturers who bring their expertise and industry knowledge into the classrooms. Students benefit from interactive and engaging learning experiences that are tailored to meet the demands of their respective fields. The programs are designed to equip students with the practical skills and theoretical knowledge needed to excel in their chosen professions.
Admission Requirements for YABATECH ND Part-time Program
In order to be eligible for admission, applicants must possess a senior secondary school result (WAEC, NECO, or NABTEB) with a minimum of five credits achieved in not more than two sittings.
The O’level subjects must include Mathematics, English Language, and three other subjects.
Candidates who apply with NABTEB results are not permitted to combine them with WAEC or NECO results. However, it is acceptable to combine two NABTEB results, but not NABTEB and WAEC or NABTEB and NECO.
YABATECH HND Part-time Requirements
To be eligible for admission into the part-time or full-time HND program, candidates are required to have a Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (S.S.C.E.) result that aligns with the course they wish to apply for.
For a comprehensive list of HND courses offered at YABATECH and their corresponding O’level requirements, please refer to the official website of the institution.
Additionally, a relevant National Diploma certificate with a minimum pass grade is mandatory for admission.
Furthermore, candidates must have completed a one-year post-National Diploma industrial experience, also known as Industrial Training. However, candidates who have obtained a pass grade in their National Diploma must complete two years of industrial training.
To apply for a part time program, use this link below: