How to write a plan on a community development project that can attract socio-economic benefits to community using the entrepreneurship approach.
If you’re asked to use the entrepreneurial approach to write a plan for a community development project that can attract socio-economic benefits to the community, what comes to mind first? How will you go about it?
In this article, Students Mirror offers some tips on how to write a plan for a community development project that can attract socio-economic benefits to the community using the entrepreneurial approach.
Before we proceed, it’s important to define some necessary key terms to enable us to answer this question.
What a plan?
According to Wikipedia, “a plan” is typically any diagram or list of steps with details of timing and resources, used to achieve an objective to do something. It is commonly understood as a set of intended actions through which one expects to achieve a goal, which can be long-term or short-term. According to American Heritage, “a plan” is a proposed or intended course of action.
What is a community development project?
A community development project is a means of strengthening a local region in one of many different ways. There are different types of community development projects, including those aimed at assisting specific segments of the community, improving safety conditions, and enhancing social and cultural pursuits in a given region.
Community development seeks to empower individuals and groups of people with the skills they need to effect change within their communities. These skills are often created through the formation of social groups working toward a common agenda. As a community developer or planner using an entrepreneurial approach, it’s necessary that you understand both how to work with individuals and how to affect communities’ positions within the context of larger social institutions.
What are socio-economic benefits?
Socio-economic benefits can refer to benefits offered to a community as a whole and can include long-term impacts on the prevailing economic conditions, various levels of education, the family unit, or employment levels, among others.
What is an entrepreneurial approach?
According to igi-global.com, an “Entrepreneurship Approach” is a multi-dimensional course of action based on imagination, initiative, innovation, and motivation as principal dimensions that is designed to offer solutions to challenges evolved in the external environment after studying its overall and segmental viability and undertaken to reach the desired goal in any particular domain.
Plan for Community Development Project
A community development project that utilizes an entrepreneurship approach can bring socio-economic benefits to a community by creating jobs, increasing access to goods and services, and generating income for community members. To write a plan for such a project, you can follow these steps:
- Identify the needs of the community: Begin by conducting a needs assessment to understand the challenges and opportunities facing the community. This could include interviews with community members, focus groups, or surveys.
- Define the project goals and objectives: Once you have a clear understanding of the community’s needs, you can define the goals and objectives of the project. These should be specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART).
- Develop a business plan: A business plan is a detailed document that outlines the business idea, market research, financial projections, and marketing and sales strategies. It is important to conduct thorough market research to understand the potential demand for your product or service and to identify potential competitors.
- Identify resources and partners: Identify the resources and partners that will be needed to implement the project, including funding sources, volunteers, and local organizations.
- Develop a budget: Develop a budget that outlines the costs associated with the project, including start-up costs, operating expenses, and projected income.
- Create a timeline: Create a timeline that outlines the key activities and milestones for the project. This will help you stay on track and ensure that the project is completed on time.
- Communicate the plan: Share the plan with the community and other stakeholders to get feedback and support. This could include presentations, meetings, or public forums.
By following these steps, you can develop a plan for a community development project that utilizes an entrepreneurship approach and can bring socio-economic benefits to the community. You can also read below to further understand how to write the project. But the above steps are the best procedures to write community development projects.
Writing a plan on a community development project that can attract socio-economic benefits using entrepreneurial approach
Before you begin writing a plan for a community development project that can attract socio-economic benefits, here’s what you need to do first.
1. Gather up information (data) and maps.
Before you begin writing a plan for a community development project that can attract socio-economic benefits, it is necessary that you first gather up information and maps. Know the socio-economic profile of communities in the
project areas, such as;
- Data sources
- Sex and age structure
2. Analyze the planning information collected.
Analyzing the information collected involves examining it in ways that reveal the relationships, patterns, trends, etc. that can be found within it. That may mean subjecting it to statistical operations that can tell you not only what kinds of relationships seem to exist among variables but also to what level you can trust the answers you’re getting. It may also mean comparing your information to that of other groups to help draw some conclusions from the data. The point, in terms of your evaluation, is to get an accurate assessment in order to better understand your work and its effects on those you’re concerned with, or in order to better understand the overall situation.
3. Set tentative community goals.
As you move to write down a plan for a community development project that can attract socio-economic benefits to the community using the entrepreneurial approach, you should set some tentative community goals.
Your very first step in any community project is to determine the goal of the community. Your goals should be the priority. The goal should be something that directly achieves value.
4. Generate community choices and develop alternative scenarios.
It’s important that you state the specific decision that needs to be made. Identify the major environmental factors that impact the decision. You can develop alternative scenarios based on the principal factors, and to do this, use the information available to you to identify four (or more) plausible and qualitatively different possibilities for each force. Alternatively, identify the two most important and most uncertain factors that are outside the control of organizational strategy and develop a matrix of four outcomes based on the two factors.
4. Make a written plan
As you begin to write a plan, remember that an economic development plan should outline the economic vision, mission, and goals of a community. State out the economic strategies and specific actions that will be taken before aligning with your official community plan, if you have one, or other plans that a community has in the works.
A socio-economic development plan is usually made up of about five components, which include: